A lot of us celebrate coffee every day as we sip our morning cup (or two!). But September 29 is actually National Coffee Day. Coffee is an ancient product that fuels our modern lives, not to mention a HUGE global industry. Coffee culture has grown by leaps and bounds in this country and millions of people enjoy the ritual of making coffee or going to their local coffee shop for their favorite drink.
Here are some mind-boggling coffee statistics that give you an idea of just how much we love the java!
- Coffee shops account for the fastest growing segment of the restaurant industry with a 7% annual growth rate.
- Americans consume 400 million cups of coffee every day! How many of those are yours?
- 55% of coffee drinkers would rather gain ten pounds than give up the drink for life.
- 52% of coffee drinkers would rather go without a shower in the morning than give up coffee.
- 49% of coffee drinkers would rather give up their cell phone for a month than go without their cup of joe.
- Seattle has ten times more coffee shops per 100,000 residents than the U.S. has overall.
- The U.S. imports nearly $4 billion dollars of coffee beans each year.
Gunther Toody’s wishes you a very happy National Coffee Day! We’re brewing it fresh all day, every day, so stop in and enjoy a hot cup with your breakfast!